The Società Entomologica Italiana, one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious scientific societies, was established in 1869 and hosted by the Regio Museo di Storia Naturale in Florence (now the Museo di Storia Naturale dell’Università). The first president was Adolfo Targioni Tozzetti and several famous entomologists, such as Giovanni Battista Grassi, Antonio Berlese, Filippo Silvestri and Guido Grandi, were members of the Council.
In 1922 the Society was transferred to the present location in Genoa, hosted by the Museo Civico di Storia Naturale “G. Doria”. In 1936, the Society was established as an “Ente Morale”.
The Società Entomologica Italiana is the only national society devoted to entomology in Italy. It is a non-profit scientific society for the promotion of entomological and natural history culture and for the improvement of basic and applied research on insects. Divulgation is made through meetings and other kinds of promotions, managed by specialists in different fields of entomological studies.
The Society publishes original contributions and scientific entomological studies on the magazines “Bollettino della Società Entomologica Italiana”, since 1869, and “Memorie della Società Entomologica Italiana”, since 1922, available at the WEB page. In 2013, in collaboration with the “Accademia Nazionale Italiana di Entomologia, the new international journal “Entomologia” has been launched. Historical information on Society publications from 1869 till 2007 is available at: http://www.socentomit.it/italiano/date-pubblicazioni-periodici.pdf and http://www.socentomit.it/Poggi%202011.pdf
The Library of the Società Entomologica Italiana – located in Genoa at Corso Torino- houses over 400 periodicals, 1100 monographic volumes and more than 7000 publications of entomological miscellanea.